About NPower Canada
NPower Canada is a charitable organization that launches underserved young adults into meaningful and sustainable digital careers. The program provides participants with free in-demand digital and professional skills training and connects them to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada's largest employers.
Through consultation with a wide range of employers, NPower Canada's comprehensive curriculum ensures participants are equipped with the in-demand technical and professional skills most sought after by industry.
NPower Canada provides employers with access to a pipeline of eager, diverse and job-ready young talent with in-demand digital skills who are primed to succeed in the workplace. Graduates receive ongoing support and coaching to ensure continued success in their careers.
Reporting to the Director, HR, we are looking for a Manager, HR, to support an end-to-end HR function, including a talent management framework. The ideal candidate will have prior experience in HR or recruitment, with a thorough understanding of HR policy and procedures. The bulk of the role will involve HR operations supervision, benefits administration, compensation, rewards, and conflict resolution, with great opportunity for developing and refining systems. We are eager to find an HR Manager who easily connects with people and has a detail-oriented mindset to handle the changing nature of the workforce.
HR Effectiveness and Operations
- Develop and execute programs and policies that align with both people and culture and overall business strategy
- Managing internal HR processes while communicating frequently with departmental and executive stakeholders to understand the unique needs of NPower Canada business and operations as relevant to the talent marketplace.
- Promote a positive, supportive, and respectful work culture through the development of metrics and programs focusing on elements such as: Equity, Diversity & Inclusion; Employee Engagement; and Health & Wellness;
- Support departments in the development and delivery of strategic HR plans to fit with the overall business direction
- Review operations to identify and implement improvements (such as automation, service levels, employee experience, etc);
- Conducts employee individuals and focus groups to solicit feedback on particular issues and/or concerns and compiles report and/or analysis with recommendations to management with compilations of monthly summary report on results.
- Oversee a comprehensive performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within organization.
- Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee issues. Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, investigations, terminations, and offboarding representing the organization at hearings;
- Review and consult on management practices to ensure fair and consistent treatment of employees and compliance of same ensuring all relevant legislation and policies and procedures are followed.
- Maintain management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures provide strategic support in change management
- Manage all aspects of health & safety; drive effective initiatives that foster a healthy and safe workplace
- Handling workplace investigations, disciplinary, and termination procedures with confidentiality and discretion
- Plan, monitor, and appraise HR activities by scheduling management conferences with employees, hearing and resolving employee grievances, training managers to coach and discipline employees, and counseling employees and supervisors
- Research and benchmark other organizations to gather relevant data to establish best practices within the organization.
- Build strong relationships with external suppliers, fostering trust and promoting collaboration
- Collaborate with TA Manager and other management to contribute to the onboarding process, ensuring the process is up to date and of high quality, providing clarity and connection for all employees and their role in relation to the overall vision
Compensation, Benefits, HR Systems, And Payroll Management
- Support payroll process with review of bi-weekly payroll;and benefits administration;
- Maintains a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Maintains employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; directing the processing of benefit claims; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts; designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs according to budgetary indications.
- Ensuring that our company is compliant with all laws and other regulations related to benefits and compensation. Within first year, implement, conduct, and maintain a pay equity program
- Assists employees with issues of pay, benefits and retirement.
- Develop methods to boost employee awareness of their options and benefits packages.
- Meet with employees as individuals and in groups to get them signed on with the organization's benefits programs and assist with questions related to wages and/or salary, medical plans, retirement plans, and investment programs.
- Help construct the compensation levels to ensure competitive rates of pay that are in accordance with our company's needs.
People Management and Team Leadership
- Participate in hiring, onboarding, supervision, training and development and evaluation (inclusive of performance appraisals) of direct reports.
- Ensure staff targets are met while they keep team motivated in their role and inform management of any concern that needs to be addressed at individual check-ins.
- Provide training and mentoring to participant-facing staff in core elements of program delivery such as issue resolution, crisis intervention, facilitation, lesson planning, teaching, and providing warm/appropriate referrals.
- Support direct reports with effectively resolving escalated concerns and complaints.
- Conduct effective coaching conversations with direct reports.
Who You Are
You have direct experience and progressive growth in HR. You may have worked at a startup, a scaleup, or a midsize company. You have worked under a Director, or on your own, and either way, you have had to identify gaps and introduce solutions. Whether that was the implementation of an HRIS, a full compensation program, or the first performance evaluation scorecard, you have proven successes big and small with measurable outcomes under your belt.
- Possess a university degree in Human Resources or Business Administration. You have a CHRP designation in good standing; working towards CHRL designation is an asset. Payroll designation is an asset.
- Possess a minimum of 5 to 7 years' experience in Human Resources with 2-3 years of supervisory/managerial experience required
- You have proven success in identifying, planning, and rolling out HR solutions, processes, and policies from technology to culture-building, from employment value proposition and handbooks to an end-to-end talent management framework. You have experience managing, advising, and executing all HR functions, including hiring, performance management, diversity and inclusion, employee engagement, health and safety, Pay Equity, compensation, and compliance with legislative requirements and employment situations across multiple provinces.
- Experience with core HR domains, including performance management, organizational design, talent management, compensation, and employee relations.
- Have an extensive understanding of compensation rules and benefits packages.
- Solid communications skills and the problem-solving talents necessary to help employees solve issues that may come up.
- Approachability and can nurture lasting relationships with people across any level, earning trust as an advisor and source of information. You have exceptional conflict resolution and negotiation skills and the ability to ask deep-dive questions to obtain results.
- Demonstrate an outstanding ability to express yourself verbally or in writing. You have experience drafting a range of HR documents and policies.
- Proactive and flexibility required to make things happen behind the scenes, when to sweat the details, and how to pivot rapidly.
- English -French bilingualism is a strong asset
Our Ongoing Commitment to Employee Health
As a condition of initial and ongoing employment, and in accordance with the legal obligations of employers and employees under provincial Occupational Health and Safety legislation and any applicable public health requirements, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate proof satisfactory to NPower Canada of full vaccination against COVID-19. Such vaccination requirement is subject to NPower Canada's duty to accommodate under applicable human rights legislation.
NPower Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
Background Check Notification
All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of a background check; which includes professional, and criminal checks.
Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Please note that this role is currently remote (work from home). In the new year, we may require in-office work part of the week, as well as in-person interactions with other staff and program participants. Our in-person work will require staff to be fully vaccinated to attend the physical workplace **