The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Senior Communciations Specialist.
The Senior Specialist, Communications develops and delivers communications and marketing plans, campaigns and programs for the Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning, supporting the Institute's mission to inspire UCalgary to be a globally recognized leader in postsecondary teaching and learning. The Senior Specialist, Communications reports to the Manager, Communications and Programming.
This role will develop and implement effective communications and marketing plans targeting UCalgary's key audiences. This includes managing and implementing a range of communications and marketing including communications plans, long form content, publications, social media, and other tactics. The candidate will incorporate and execute digital and social media communications and work collaboratively with leadership, fellow staff, and select vendors to develop and publish communications and marketing materials for print, email, social and web channels. The work includes writing/reviewing web, email, and social media copy, writing speaking remarks, website management, organizing virtual events/webinars and podcasts, and reporting on communications results.
Working in a collaborative and caring unit, this individual is a strong communications generalist, knowledgeable of the varied elements of communications planning and implementation. They are a strong communicator with a broad understanding of the university environment, attention to detail, strong writing and interviewing skills, and the adaptability to adjust to changing scenarios.
To manage the multiple projects that this role handles, this individual must be excellent at organization and prioritization, as well as managing information effectively for different types of projects.
The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning's values: care, connection, courage will guide the candidate and their interactions and deliverables, to ensure that relationships are put before tasks and a strong cultural foundation is built.
The key purpose of the Senior Specialist, Communications role is to provide professional communications generalist skills to meet the communications needs of the Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning. This includes providing strategic communications advice to address client communications requests, writing communications plans and managing tactics included in those plans, building and maintaining marketing campaigns using Marketo, adapting branded design templates for print and digital products, planning, writing and building websites using Drupal 8 web system, creating briefing notes and speaking notes for clients and other event communications support, planning and coordinating speakers for video shoots and more.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Develop and implement effective communications and marketing strategies and plans in support of the clients' goals and objectives
- Experience developing, executing, measuring and optimizing e-marketing campaigns;
- Work collaboratively with the client, fellow staff, and select vendors (as needed) to plan, develop and publish communications and marketing materials for print, email, social media and web channels
- Manage, plan and implement a range of campaigns, publications, special events (such as webinars), and other communications and marketing tactics that address the goals and objectives of the Taylor Institute's strategy and plan
- Develop long-form content for varied outlets, including identifying subjects, prep and interview, and writing, securing revisions and approvals and aligning with the university's style guide.
- Develop and maintain successful and productive relationships with the client and colleagues within the client portfolio
- Manage and coordinate with outside agencies and vendors as required
- Manage complex issues and challenging interpersonal interactions with composure and diplomacy
- Ensure that communications are timely, accurate, informative, and professional
- Seek expert opinions and advice where appropriate and considered reliable
- Organize and chair kick-off meetings for projects as needed
- Secure approval of all content and artwork prior to production
- Assist with content review /user testing/revisions (as needed)
- Provide input for changes to procedures and practices
- Interface with external vendors and suppliers as required to ensure project completion
- Deal effectively with complex issues, using common sense and problem-solving skills
Qualifications / Requirements
- 5-7 years of experience in the communications and marketing sector; leading complex projects in marketing and/or communications
- Undergraduate degree, diploma or recognized credential in communications and marketing or related field; a combination of education and experience will be considered
- Demonstrated experience in developing high-impact communications plans and campaigns to meet goals and objectives
- Deep knowledge of digital communications and marketing and social media trends
- Solid understanding of communications and marketing, and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strategic thinker, with demonstrated ability in partnership-building
- Creative thinker and problem-solver who can think fast on their feet
- Well organized, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize functions on a daily basis and capable of simultaneously managing multiple responsibilities efficiently and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
- Confident and poised with strong interpersonal skills, passionate about the value of communications for the Institute's work
- Strong personal values and attention to relationship-building and collaboration
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders is an asset
- Experience working with Marketo is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Excellent attention to detail
Application Deadline: December 06, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase 3.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About The University Of Calgary
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (via Isarta) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources (via Isarta).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.