About the role
Headquartered in Vancouver, Herschel Supply designs and manufactures the finest quality backpacks, bags, travel goods, accessories, and apparel for everyday explorers around the world. We are a design-driven, detail-oriented, innovative company that creates opportunities for individuals to express themselves, influence change and contribute to the growth of a global brand.
The SVP, Brand and Community is responsible for overseeing the planning, development and execution of the organization's marketing and brand initiatives. The successful candidate will direct the brand identity globally by establishing a strategic marketing plan for the company and by developing a clearly differentiated brand positioning. This role is responsible for executing best in class integrated marketing programs with overall responsibility for strategy, creative process, go to market initiatives, campaigns, and team leadership.
On a day-to-day basis, the SVP will:
- Own the annual global marketing plan and execute against it.
- Lead the annual marketing budgeting process and maintain controls to ensure programs are within budget.
- Create and execute fully integrated marketing campaigns. Explore and utilize various marketing channels to drive customer acquisition, retention, and engagement.
- Manage the growth of global brand awareness and the consistency of brand identity, ensuring that all marketing activities are aligned with brand strategy.
- Identify new marketing opportunities that can deliver significant revenue and margin growth including the development and implementation of go-to-market strategies.
- Lead segmentation strategies to drive consumer connection and overall revenue goals.
- Drive innovation across marketing channels - remain in front of market developments and best practices to reach consumers at all stages of their relationship with the brand.
- Ensure successful execution of all campaigns including advertising, public relations, trade shows, community, events and retail marketing programs.
- Lead the brand voice to ensure the brand has a consistent positioning.
- Lead our internal creative team by connecting creative executions to overall strategy. Support the team to develop break-through and innovative creative to set the brand apart from the competition.
- Oversee the global communications function including media relations, PR, influencer seeding and crisis management.
- Oversee community strategy, ensuring consumers develop emotional connections to the brand.
- Work across channels to deliver the right message, to the right customer at the right time.
- Maximize the performance of the advertising budget by optimizing the media mix across digital and traditional media types.
- Work with our E-commerce team to support the optimization of digital marketing execution to drive traffic and ROI across sales channels (includes SEO, SEM, Affiliate, Video, Display, Email, SMS, Social)
- Develop omni-channel, customer centric experiences to maximize each channel's impact to the overall customer experience.
- Work with key accounts, distributors, owned retail and ecommerce to understand channel requirements and support each channel with campaign support
- Drive consumer insights for the organization through a robust research and analytical strategy
- Lead qualitative consumer research to bring the voice of the consumer into the strategy
- Lead quantitative consumer analysis to maximize retention, lifetime value and key consumer metrics.
- Educate the business on consumer measurement best practices.
- Develop a team of marketing and branding professionals through mentorship and coaching. Support the team in developing OKRs linked to the company strategy.
- Lead teams across Creative, Strategy, Communications and Community and Retail/Account.
- Work cross-functionally, linking the brand to our product roadmap and to our sales channels and distribution globally. Support People and Talent in creating on-brand experiences for our employees.
- Experienced Global Marketing executive with 12+ years of marketing and branding experience, within a purpose-driven brand.
- Exceptional leadership, management, and communication skills.
- Ability to succeed in a highly creative environment and collaborate effectively across all departments.
- Strong analytical and project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience growing a consumer brand through multiple channels.
- Experience in product led organizations - you know how to manage the go-to-market process
- Experience in digital/ecommerce, wholesale (account & distributors) and retail sales channels.
- Creative, purpose-driven, engaging, and inspiring. Strong brand-building orientation.
- Proactive and self-directed
- Strong empathy for the consumer with an ability to glean insights into what drives consumer behavior and craft stories & experiences to speak to those competencies
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
- Data-driven with an ability to define, measure and manage to quantifiable business, brand, customer and financial metrics and goals
- Experience in growth-oriented businesses with an emphasis on strategic planning capability combined with hands-on execution.
- Ability to see beyond the marketing function, providing thought partnership to other functional groups and leadership team
- Strong team leader - able to attract and develop talent to create a high-performance environment.