The City of Waterloo is recruiting for the role of Marketing and Business Services Manager. Reporting to the Director of Recreation Services, the Manager will be responsible for the marketing, business development, program registration and bookings of the city's recreation programs, services and facilities.
As a dynamic and collaborative leader, the Manager will lead strategic initiatives for the City's Marketing and Business Services section with a focus on customer services and the development of innovative campaigns and strategies to promote and attract our programs, services, and facilities to our diverse customers.
The Manager will set direction for and contribute to a team of dedicated staff who will ensure that marketing opportunities and business services support are provided to all Recreation Services teams. The Manager provides leadership by actively demonstrating and creating an inclusive and dynamic environment that supports the delivery of the goals, objectives, and strategic priorities of the department, division and section.
- Responsible for the short and long term planning, management, coordination, administration, operation and delivery of marketing, advertising, and business development for all recreation programs, services, and facilities
- Oversee the planning, management, and administration of bookings and registration of all the recreation programs, services, and facilities
- Provide oversight and leadership to full-time and contract employees, including ongoing feedback and coaching, annual performance evaluations, training, growth and career development planning support
- Promote and advertise programs, services and facilities of Recreation Services, and manage the delivery of promotional programs and services of the division
- Cultivate and encourage business development opportunities supportive of division goals and direction collaboratively with other managers, ensuring such opportunities are suitable for individual facilities or services
- Develop marketing and advertising plans for division-wide purposes, monitor effectiveness and implement change as needed. Assist and support others to develop marketing and promotional strategies for individual service units
- Work independently and collaboratively with Sport Hosting Office to attract, secure and support sport tourism events
- Oversee the maintenance and business practices related to the use of ActiveNet (Recreation Services' software system - used for processing rentals, program registrations, drop in and POS activities)
- Oversee that all indoor and outdoor rentals are processed effectively and in accordance with policies and procedures
- Create and manage business practices, policies, and procedures for marketing and business development, along with program registration, facility rentals, and point of sale
- Develop section business plan, including goals and objectives, and establish work plans to achieve goals and objectives set out in the Recreation Services business plan while considering the core principles of inclusivity, diversity, and accessibility.
- Conduct regular reviews of the section's performance relative to customer satisfaction, campaign performance, complaint resolution, potential partnerships, budget performance, divisional performance metrics, and long term planning, implementing changes that support division goals and objectives in collaboration with the Director
- Work collaboratively with the Manager of Recreation Programming, the Manager of Recreation Facilities, and other Community Services teams to ensure the seamless promotion, booking, and registration of recreation programs, rentals, and events.
- Promote a supportive environment where employees can work collaboratively with other team members internal and external to the division and department
- Demonstrate creativity, skill development while staying current with professional networks, practices, processes and procedures within the field
- Provide input into the annual operating and 10 (year) capital budget for the section and integration into the division's budget; responsible for the planning, budgeting, and forecasting of expenditures within the Marketing and Business Services section
- Ensure Marketing and Business Services operates in full compliance with health and safety, accessibility, employment standards, and other relevant regulations and legislation
- Prepare reports, presentations, and memos related to divisional needs and present findings to interested parties and senior management on initiatives and results within the division
- Attend Council meetings, committees, or other required public meetings as required to present recommended courses of action and updates on projects and initiatives
- Participate on corporate committees, initiatives, and projects as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Recreation & Leisure, Business, Public Administration, Marketing/Sales, or a related field
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in a leadership role managing marketing and business development programs and people with demonstrated supervisory and performance management skills, preferably in a municipal environment
- Demonstrated marketing and business development expertise in recreation and leisure services
- Recreation and leisure promotion, advertising, business development (business attraction, bid development and writing) skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in areas of developing strong successful collaborative working relationships, facilitation, event management and delivery, creative problem solving and solution development
- Able to function well under pressure and to respond to frequently changing demands and priorities
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills to think creatively, identify options, and resolve complex issues
- Strong interpersonal, communication and public relations skills, with the proven ability work collaboratively and to actively train and develop others
- Ability to read and understand budget sheets and financial statements
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook; experience with OpenText, and ActiveNet is an asset
- Ability and willingness to travel between worksites, as necessary, utilizing reliable, safe and efficient methods of transportation is required to perform the job
- A satisfactory police Criminal Record and Judicial Matters check is required as a condition of hire
The primary work location for this position is RIM Park Manulife Sportsplex, however, the successful incumbent will be eligible to apply for a hybrid remote working arrangement up to two days per week following successful completion of their probationary period, subject to Director approval.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in one document through the online application process. For posting and application details please visit: www.waterloo.ca/careers
Be You @ Waterloo
At the City of Waterloo, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. All interested and qualified candidates, including Indigenous persons, Black persons, non-Black racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and those interested in joining our team are encouraged to apply.
The City of Waterloo is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, and barrier-free. Accommodations in accordance with the Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation are available throughout all stages of the recruitment process. For accommodation during the application process, applicants are requested to make their needs known via email at via Isarta, quoting the position and competition number. Applicants advanced through to subsequent stages of the recruitment process will be provided with additional opportunities to make their needs known.
We've Got You Covered
- The City of Waterloo strives to be an employer of choice for strong talent dedicated to serving our community, and offer the following:
- Flexible work schedules to support and nurture work-life balance;
- Competitive wages and a fulsome employer paid benefits package, including paid sick leave, long-term disability, OMERS pension and an Employee and Family Assistance Program;
- A staff team dedicated to fostering and advancing action to support the organization's ongoing commitment to Indigenous Initiatives, Anti-Racism, Accessibility and Equity;
- Substantial internal and external training and development opportunities;
- Compassionate and caring organization that promotes and embraces a culture of health, safety and wellness;
- Strong commitment to providing and maintaining a psychologically safe workplace that is respectful, inclusive, and where all individuals are valued;
- Paid vacation and personal days, paid float holiday(s), and an overtime bank;
- Employee Purchase Programs (Corporate Cell Phone plans, Computer Purchase Plan, etc.);
- Dress-down Fridays, and optional Wednesdays in partnership with the United Way fundraising campaign;
- City of Waterloo Staff Recreation Pass;
- Anniversary milestone gifts, starting at 5 years of service for regular part-time and full-time staff; and,
- So much more!