Company : IWK Health
Req ID: 145458
Department/Program : Palliative Care , Children's Health Program
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT ( 100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Start Date: ASAP
Union Status: NSGEU Off&Cler , Admin Professionals Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $ 20.0923 - $ 21.913 /hour
Closing Date: December 19, 2022 (Applications are accepted until 23:59 Atlantic Time)
IWK Health is a respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million children, youth, adults and families each year across the Atlantic region. We have a team of approximately 4000 employees, physicians, volunteers and learners at sites across Nova Scotia . People build careers with IWK Health with our focus on training and mentorship opportunities. We recognize each other's talent and celebrate our successes. We collaborate in modern facilities or virtually from home, align our work to our values , and enjoy access to enhanced benefits and wellness programs. We are proud to support our patients, families and communities and are grateful for the generous donor support we receive.
Promoting an anti-racist environment, and calling out discrimination as we work and provide care, is important to us. We are located in Mi'kma'ki, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq people. Working in Mi'kma'ki and providing care to those across Atlantic Canada is a shared privilege with the original inhabitants who have lived here for many thousands of years prior to colonization. There are 13 First Nation communities across Nova Scotia, and more than 50 historic African Nova Scotian communities who also have a long, deep, and complex history dating back over 400 years. We have the highest percentage of people with disabilities in the country. Nova Scotia has the highest proportions of transgender and non-binary people than any other province or territory in the country. We are active in our work to eliminate discrimination, but have more work to do to build that trust, acknowledge our biases and reduce the barriers our diverse communities face. We want IWK Health to be a safe and supportive space of equity and belonging in the care we provide and the employment we offer. We welcome all interested persons who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply to support our goal for our workforce to be representative of the patients, families, and communities that we care for at all job levels.
Primary Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
Reporting to the Manager of Pediatric Advanced Care Team (PACT), the Manager of Department of Pediatrics, the Chief Operating Officer of Pediatrics, and Head of the Division of Palliative Medicine, the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to designated members of the Pediatric Advanced Care Team.
? Serving as the main phone contact person for the PACT, including managing calls from families of active patients, from bereaved family members, and from health care professionals within and outside IWK
? Managing the schedules/calendars for PACT/Complex Care members and others (e.g., residents and other trainees) rotating with our service
? Managing Administrative Processes To Support PACT/Complex Care Clinical Functions (PACT/Complex Care Referrals Are Reciprocal For Patient Who Meet Very Specific/restricted Criteria)
- Entering patient intake information for new patient referrals
- Ensuring timely communication w/ team members about new, urgent and/or subsequent patient visits
- Maintaining paper-based referral binder/charts and the online databases (currently databases are MS Excel but anticipate transition to a new system, as needed, for formal research data collection) and creating simple reports from the databases
- Creating Zoom and other virtual platform appointments (e.g., MS Teams) with community providers and others, as needed, to support our clinical work within and outside IWK
- Coordinating, scheduling, booking and registering clinical appointments and home visits for children with medical complexity and serious illnesses and, where possible, coordinating these appointments with other scheduled visits (care coordination) in accordance with family needs/wishes
- Facilitating and verifying the completion of the IWK death of a patient [DoP] processes for PACT patients who die at IWK and those who die at home/outside IWK. These DoP processes include preparing and maintaining a reserve supply of Health Centre-wide ?end of life packets? as well as delivering to appropriate units within the Health Center as needed.
- Facilitating and tracking standard documents (Palliative Drug Program, accessible parking, Exception Status Drug documentation, DTC, documentation for needed medical equipment, etc.), in coordination with other staff (e.g., Discharge Planning, PACT CNS, etc.)
- Preparing materials for annual group mailings (holiday mail out, fathers'/mothers' day, etc.) and individual patient ?anniversary' mailings (monthly memory boxes, mail to families on specific anniversaries, etc.) and tracking completion
- Maintaining mailing lists, creating Outlook reminders for bereavement tasks, etc.
- Managing bereavement material inventory/ordering necessary resources, etc.
? Supporting PACT's education and research missions, including
- Organizing materials and technology for PACT educational activities booking rooms, booking technical equipment, maintaining rsvp list, facilitating communication with attendees for workshops/education sessions, preparing materials for distribution and assuring smooth start to meetings and programs.
- Organizing the schedules/calendars for learners and trainees who rotate thru PACT
? Assisting PACT members with their administrative needs and service functioning, including
- Maintaining and ordering PACT standard resource inventory- books, pamphlets and brochures-as well as standard office supplies. This includes quarterly book counts and related resource tracking/stewardship processes
- Assuring timely completion of provider billing for physicians and call schedules
- Processing financial reimbursements, purchase requisition, expense recoveries and travel arrangements
- Preparing and submitting certain templated departmental reports, e.g., teaching, research and administrative quarterly reports
- Scheduling recurrent meetings, taking minutes/creating summaries, etc., and distributing these as well as following up on assigned tasks
? Maintaining at all times patient confidentiality and ensuring a respectful workplace
Hours of Work
Mon-Fri 8:00a.m. - 4:00p.m
? Proven team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills required, as position includes working with families who are experiencing distress and/or bereavement
? Flexible mindset, comfort working independently and ability to triage work as our very small but active service experiences surges in workload and are frequently impacted by patient crises so our teams' schedules need to be actively managed and the administrative assistant must be able to re-prioritize their own tasks, as needed.
? Minimum high school diploma or GED in addition to graduation from A recognized office administration program required
? Minimum Two (2) Years Work Experience
? Comfort with Microsoft Office, including Excel, and with standard database entry, required; competency with other computer programs/technology preferred (testing may be conducted on candidates)
? Competency of Access-E forms, Community Wide Scheduling, SAP and MEDITECH required. This includes ability to prepare documents (scanning, labelling, etc.) for uploading into MEDITECH
? Competency in Zoom scheduling required and related platforms (MS Teams) an asset
? Competency in pertinent aspect of end-of-life care policies and protocols an asset
? Experience working in palliative care (adult or pediatric) and/or bereavement services a significant asset
? Competency in basic meeting minute documentation required and knowledge of medical terminology an asset
? Keyboarding skills minimum of 40 wpm required; 60 wpm preferred (testing maybe conducted on candidate)
? Demonstrated ability to respectfully work inter-professional team members and persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities required.
T hank you for your interest in IWK Health.
Please note that we only contact applicants selected for interview/testing. If we invite you to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) you have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials. Additionally, as per Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre's obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis
I f you are an employee of IWK Health , please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.