Date Posted: 05/01/2023
Req ID: 30966
Faculty/Division: School of Management
Department: Joseph L. Rotman School of Management
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Rotman School of Management is part of the University of Toronto, a global centre of research and academic excellence at the heart of Canada's commercial and financial capital. Rotman is a catalyst for transformative learning, insights and public engagement, bringing together diverse views and initiatives around a defining purpose: to create value for business and society. We make a fundamental promise - Here's where it changes - to our students, our partners and the broader community. Everyone at Rotman, faculty and staff, plays a role in bringing that promise to life.
The Strategic Communications team at the Rotman School is a creative team of about fifteen people responsible for brand-building, producing public events for the business community, developing our website and all marketing materials, publishing Rotman Management magazine and the Rotman Insights Hub, managing media relations, web storytelling and social media. We work closely with varied stakeholders across the School including marketers and communicators across Rotman who are promoting all our diverse programs and activities.
The Strategic Communications and Social Media Specialist is a key member of the team. To be effective in the role, they will build relationships and get to know many areas of Rotman, write in a very compelling way, and have a passion for social media and how we can maximize its impact.
Your responsibilities will include:
1) Story creation: (60%)
To find the latest newsworthy stories about the Rotman community and develop them into feature web articles as well as shorter content suitable for social media channels. The primary purpose is to create content that helps us attract students to Rotman's graduate degree programs and our programs of shorter duration for executive and other learners. Content will be a mix of student and alumni profiles and school news pieces.
This part of the role requires staying connected to all areas of Rotman to determine what is newsworthy and needs attention. Researching various topics to develop story ideas. Conducting interviews, writing the stories, getting approvals on quotes and editing as needed. Working with colleagues to ensure the stories are leveraged widely on the web, in newsletters on social channels, etc.
2) Social media strategy and coordination: (40%)
To act as a resource for a diverse set of marketing and communications colleagues, be our in-house Hootsuite expert and
a) manage an editorial calendar for Rotman's organic content on our centrally managed social channels (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube)
b) regularly review social media organic results, determine and share what is working and monitor competitors and other organizations
c) share information by attending central U of T meetings and hosting a monthly social media community of practice at Rotman
d) recommend enhancements to improve engagement, explore new channels, experiment with new types of content, etc.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Researching and recommending story ideas that advance priorities and initiatives.
- Writing and editing digital communications
- Editing content for style and tone.
- Creating and maintaining presence on social media platforms
- Preparing schedules for the release of pre-planned social media content
- Researching and evaluating emerging social media platforms and partnerships
- Keeping well-informed on social media trends, technologies and best practices
- Tracking and monitoring social media analytics
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant journalistic and social media-related experience in corporate communications, marketing or related fields
- Evidence of a solid writing portfolio indicating proven ability to conduct interviews and produce engaging content in longer form for the web and shorter form for social media
- A demonstrated passion for social media an a track record of success
- Experience coordinating a social media calendar with many contributors and acting as a social media resource to diverse colleagues
- Experience analyzing data on web readership and engagement and social media analytics and advising on digital and social strategies to maximize presence and growth
- Experience maintaining consistent brand identity for multiple audiences and platforms, including digital, web and social media platforms
- Experience acting as a respected resource to a diverse team
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks and responsibilities.
- Skill at multitasking and a flexible view of job responsibilities.
- Experience in a higher education environment is an asset
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Closing Date: 05/09/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 13 - $76,284 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $97,556. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Dane Williams
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.