St. Thomas the Apostle Parish in Waterdown is looking for a casual Administrative Assistant to join their team. Reporting to the Parish Priest, this position offers a competitive rate of pay. The casual Administrative Assistant will fill in during holidays, sick days and other busy times during the year.
Primary Secretarial responsibilities
- Greeting visitors, handling phone calls, directing inquiries to appropriate individuals.
- Prepare and publish the weekly Parish Bulletin (updating bulletin as required).
- Recording Mass intentions, Sacramental registration information and issuing Sacramental certificates (Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage).
- Completion of Schedules for Parish Priest as required.
- Maintaining and updating Parish calendar of events including school masses.
- Order supplies for the office and Parish as needed.
- Attend and keep minutes for Finance Council Meetings.
- Making of appointments for the Pastor and Pastoral staff.
- Attend and participate in all staff and Pastoral Team meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Pastor when required.
Primary Bookkeeper responsibilities
- Responsibility for accounting and bookkeeping functions, including payroll and ensuring the maintenance of up to date, accurate records.
- Prepares monthly and annual financial statements with supporting analysis to meet Government and Chancery requirements.
- Inputs parishioner's financial contributions, prepares annual tax receipts and oversees deposits.
- Updates Parish records as needed.
- Administers the employee benefit programs for Parish staff.
- Complete other tasks/duties as needed in the Parish.
- Post Secondary education in a relevant field preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and QuickBooks.
- 2-3 years of prior secretarial/Bookkeeper office experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to organize and prioritize efficiently.
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions.
- A good understanding of and respect for Catholic Doctrine, Liturgy and practice.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Diocese of Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation, please inform the Human Resources Manager.