We have an exciting opportunity for a Communication and Events Manager to join the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions in Calgary, Alberta. This position will manage a 5-person team and will oversee all projects related to communications, marketing and event management.
The Communications and Events Manager will be responsible for executing the strategic plan, budgeting, contract negotiations, project management, and additional activities for all the marketing and communication channels including social media, press releases, written content for quarterly newsletter, annual reports, attending Board meetings, Annual General Meetings and presenting as required. This position is a fast-paced and dynamic role with a high delivery rate on multiple projects with strong exposure and connectivity to the agriculture community and stakeholders both provincially and nationally.
This position is a 12-month maternity coverage opportunity, in office, that will report to the General Manager.
Travel is estimated at 20%.
The Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions represent 14,000 wheat and 11,000 barley farmers in Alberta, and invests in major program areas such as research, communications and extension, market development, farm business management and policy advocacy.
For more information about the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions, please visit www.albertawheatbarley.com
- Oversee the execution of the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions strategic plan.
- Manage and implement the new commission rebrand communications plan.
- Create, support and delegate communications initiatives for other departments including market development, agronomy extension, research and government policy.
- Manage and lead a highly knowledgeable and effective communications and events team.
- Lead the Canadian Wheat Research Coalition's communications committee initiatives.
- Develop and foster strong relationships with both consumer and agricultural media outlets.
- Consult and edit Marketing Communications Specialists work on the Grain Exchange, Research Publications and social media content.
- Work with and provide support to the Event Specialist and Communication and Events Coordinator for various events including, but not limited to, Prairie Cereals Summit, Regional Meetings, WheatStalk and the Calgary Stampede.
- Create and write informative press releases, key messages, speaking notes, annual report content and website copy as needed.
- Lead and facilitate Team Alberta Crops' communications committee initiatives.
- Prepare and present communication department updates and decision items for internal farmer-led committee and Board of Directors.
- Establish strong working relationships and liaison with farmers, industry partners, collaborative vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- 5+ years of experience in communications and/or marketing.
- Bachelor's degree or post-secondary certification or degree in communications, public relations or marketing.
- Proven experience working and leading cross-functional teams and projects.
- Solid communication planning skill set with a deep understanding of communications metrics.
- Superior communication, written and oral presentation skills.
- Passion for quality with a focus on attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills across various mediums.
- Superior project management skills and ability to multi-task with competing deadlines and priorities.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Passion for agriculture and enjoy working in a diverse, flexible and team-based environment.
- Firm understanding of agricultural research, grant writing and project management.
- Flexible, very well-organized and detail oriented.
- Superb time management skills and able to prioritize tasks and competing priorities.
- Critical thinking and exceptional judgement.
- Agriculture sector industry experience, an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
JESSE JACOBSON / T: 587.453.4242/ www.richardsonsearch.ca