Job Description :
Reporting to the Program Manager, Digital Communications, is responsible for and is the primary contact for coordinating all social media communication activities for York Region including posting, monitoring and responding to daily social media inquiries, planning, promotion and overseeing the annual social media strategy, analyzing, reporting, recommending and implementing improvements on all social media data collected and; providing advice and guidance for social media; providing support for corporate-led social media initiatives, corporate strategies and governance related to social media programs and initiatives, including digital, web and branding support; providing guidance and support to all Regional departments to ensure content remains accurate, timely and meets policies, standards and legislation; as required.
- Creates and oversees York Region's annual social media initiatives and the overall social media strategy to promote followers among York Region residents and stakeholders.
- Researches and ensures that the York Region social media strategy follows industry best practices.
- Works with Regional departments to provide consistent, timely messaging across all online communication platforms.
- Posts information and responds to inquiries daily, including outside of normal business hours, as required.
- Identifies and supports the development of corporate communications efficiencies, support systems, controls, directives and improvements to maintain and enhance the Region's presence and to ensure stakeholder communication across the departments is aligned and effective, including corporate communication management systems; corporate-led initiatives; corporate-wide publications and communications plans, supporting the Region's brand and management.
- Participates in Inter-Municipal Digital Communications meetings and other inter-municipal and inter-departmental working groups as required (e.g., Municipal Community Engagement/Crowdsourcing Working Group)
- Coordinates content and website updates with other members of the Digital Communications Team.
- Ensures the content on York Region websites is accessible to the public, posted accurately, and updated on a timely basis.
- Analyzes website statistics and trends to identify future changes and growth needs.
- Researches, writes and/or edits content for York Region social media and digital communications, including newsletters, information guides and reports, manuals, communication pieces etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with Branch and Department objectives.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years' direct social media experience in a large organization and a journalism or marketing background, including several years' experience in writing customer communication pieces for a business, such as press releases, newsletters, and print media.
- Understanding of the process of municipal government and the programs and services provided to the public, in order to determine the unique and diverse internal communication needs within the varying business units.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media applications and practices (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing principles and practices.
- Computer literacy in MS Office software applications including proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Scheduling, Presentation, Access, Publisher, PageMaker and with internet and WEB site management.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including Communication, Innovation, Teamwork and Collaboration, and Personal Ownership.