Director of Scientific Communications and Engagement, Late Development Oncology/Chief Medical Office
Location: Gaithersburg, Mississauga, Barcelona
Are you an effective and creative communicator, passionate about science?
Join us in this role, leading the internal science engagement and communications strategy for a global multi-site function covering Late Development Oncology and the Chief Medical Office (LDO/CMO). Working with a diverse set of people including medical, scientists, leaders and corporate affairs you will use proven and innovative mechanisms to bring our strategy and portfolio to life and inspire the LDO/CMO community as we work towards achieving our bold ambition 2030. Through innovative and impactful communications the successful candidate will contribute to our ambition of building a culture of learning and transparency.
This critical role leads the internal science engagement and communications strategy for LDO/CMO, a global multi-site function of over 3000 people. With a team of 4 direct reports, you will enable delivery of the cohesive strategy across the LDO/CMO organizations.
This role will act as a key partner and point of contact for the SVP and Chief Medical Officer at AstraZeneca, providing dedicated strategic communications and support to this innovative and highly visible leader.
Working with a diverse range of stakeholders, you will develop an exciting internal communications agenda featuring innovative solutions to enhance employee engagement and tell the LDO/CMO story. You will partner with R&D corporate affairs to align and shape science communications that enhance the external reputation of LDO and CMO.
- Defines and implements the internal science communications and engagement strategy for LDO/CMO working closely with diverse stakeholders across AstraZeneca including the Senior Vice President, Business Planning & Operations and Transformation Lead
- Responsible for the overarching internal editorial calendar and messaging to raise the visibility of LDO/CMO achievements (e.g.milestones) and to communicate our scorecard
- Provides strategic input into our broader LDO/CMO internal communications strategy (events, awards) and supports direct reports with delivery against these plans
- Works directly with the LDO/CMO SVP and leadership team to define the strategic focus and develop content for internal and external engagements (e.g.external investigator scientific presentations and Town Hall meetings)
- Leads the strategy for enhancing engagement of LDO/CMO leaders internally
- Drives innovative solutions (including digital media) to communicate our scorecard and scientific priorities and bring the LDO/CMO science to life
- Overall accountable for delivery of key business reports to capture scientific achievements / deliverables
- Partners with Oncology R&D corporate affairs to shape external communications to further enhance the external scientific reputation of LDO/CMO
- Provides direction, guidance and development to any direct reports
- BS/BA degree in life sciences or communications or related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience developing and implementing integrated communication plans
- Scientific in-depth knowledge in the Oncology field or related areas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to clearly articulate complex scientific data into effective and compelling communication that is appropriate for the level of audience
- Broad knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process
- Strong influencing, networking and team working skills
- A proven track record of delivering tasks in a timely manner
- Experience in line management
- Prior experience in a strategic communications role is strongly desired
- PhD or MSc in Life science
- Experience in working in a complex, fast paced, high performing team
At AstraZeneca, we are dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. A place where employees are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash their entrepreneurial spirit. There is no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development.
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
Where can I find out more
Our social media:
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazeneca