Job Description :
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health), patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Senior Web and Mobile Developer (SWMD) reports to the Director or designate and is responsible for providing leadership and direction on the support and development of new and existing web and mobile applications within Communications, Partnerships and Primary Care Strategy and/or Solutions Engineering, providing services to Island Health, our staff, providers, patients and communities. Applying a broad range of web-based experience and knowledge, the SWMD manages a variety of projects that range from building/supporting web and mobile systems/solutions to evaluating products for their technical and architectural fit within existing environments.
This position draws on a high level of expertise in the management of a medium to large scale development environment, providing both architectural and technical direction to help translate business needs into requirement specifications. In addition to the preparation of technical documentation, project plans, and product roadmaps, the SWMD plays a key developer role within the team, overseeing product assessments, defining and implementing standards, performing security reviews, and providing the framework for web and mobile systems development.
Education, Training And Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related discipline, plus a minimum of five to seven (5-7) years' recent related experience in software development, architecture planning, design and development of multi-tiered, web infrastructures and reliable development process flow.
Skills And Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of open source web platforms, LAMP stack and similar architectures.
- Expert level experience with the development and operational management of PHP, Drupal and WordPress, as well as underlying database structures such as MySQL
- Experienced in mobile application development for iOS and Android
- Broad understanding of change control, source control and deployment best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology.
- Proven experience with different development methodologies such as SCRUM or Agile, and when and why to use them
- Ability to analyze operational problems and recommend innovative solutions, demonstrating time management skills.
- Proven ability to plan and execute complex projects with stringent budgets and timelines.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and decision making skills.
- Excellent team building and relationship management
- Seeks out feedback to strive for continual improvement through testing, peer reviews and evaluations
- Participation in a 24x7 on-call rotation may be required.