Requisition ID: 10404
Department : Public Info & Media Relations
Service: Corporate Communications Service
Branch: Creative Services Branch
Employment Type: 1 Full-time Temporary - Up to 1 year
Work Hours: 35.00 hours per week
Affiliation: CUPE 503 Inside/Outside
Salary Information: $62,917.40 - $73,613.54 annually (2023 rates of pay)
Location: City Hall,110 Laurier Avenue West
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Category: Administrative and Support Services
Application Close: 31/10/2023
The Public Information team plans and implements communications programs, services and strategies to promote the programs and services of the City of Ottawa and provides strategic advice to Council and senior leaders regarding responses to events, allegations or circumstances that arise. In emergency and crisis management situations, Public Information plays a critical, cross-departmental role in the planning, development and dissemination of crisis communications.
You are responsible for creating and producing graphical presentations and communication products using industry standard software and technology.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of 3 year community college diploma in Graphic Design.
Minimum of 3 years of related experience in graphic design or a similar field for a private or public organization.
- Superior grasp of industry standard hardware and software including operation of the Macintosh computer and general knowledge of the Macintosh operating system
- Advanced knowledge of print and electronic production processes
- Software including but not limited to, Adobe Creative Suites, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and MS Office Suite
- Knowledge of Adobe After Effects or motion graphics
- Understand the basics of design and layout including balance, symmetry, colour, style and paper selection
- Photography methods, photo manipulation and editing, colour management
- General knowledge of Web design
- Documents archival methods
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High level of creativity and attention to detail
- Excellent time and priority management to stay atop of projects occurring simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Client centric approach with particular emphasis on Service Excellence
- Excellent interpersonal skills; apply tact and sensitivity in working with clients
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: English oral, reading, writing
- You may initially be paid 95% of your starting rate of pay, in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from members of Indigenous, Black and other racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women and non-binary persons, persons of all ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, classes, gender identities and expressions.
Candidates are encouraged to self-identify as a member of one or more designated employment equity groups in the self-identification questionnaire.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.