DEI Consulting Engineers is a professional mechanical and electrical consulting engineering firm providing services to architects and building owners in the building service industry. Established in 1999, DEI Consulting Engineers has grown organically from a small engineering firm to a mid-sized engineering firm employing over seventy-five staff across two offices. With a comprehensive list of completed projects ranging from residential, education, institutional, recreational, and commercial, DEI Consulting Engineers has the experience to provide full-service mechanical and electrical consulting for any development, building, or client.
DEI Consulting Engineer's goal is to hire an administrative assistant to join our administration team that supports our engineering and contract administration teams. Our team is looking to hire a capable, self-motivated, and professional individual that brings excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to learn new skills and industry specific requirements.
The ideal candidate would be a team player, be able to work well under pressure and tight deadlines, be able to communicate effectively and concisely with internal staff and clients and have excellent customer service skills. The ideal candidate would have knowledge and experience with standard administrative functions, excellent computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office products, the ability to prioritize and manage competing tasks, and a willingness to handle routine and advanced duties for members of the engineering department.
Role Administrative Assistant
Job Location Waterloo, Ontario
Job Details Full-Time
Working at DEI Consulting Engineers
DEI Consulting Engineers is a mid-sized mechanical, electrical, and aquatic consulting engineering firm that takes pride in our history of providing exceptional client service, engineering, and consultation for our clients. We know that this reputation has been developed by our staff over the history of the firm through their expertise and commitment to our values.
DEI Consulting Engineers has built and cultivated a collaborative, inclusive, and upbeat working culture. We understand that different beliefs, cultures, and backgrounds are vital to bringing in fresh ideas, perspectives, and experiences to our firm, our work, and the communities that we live and work within.
Our firm is committed to providing our staff with an array of benefits that support their financial, physical, mental well-being. An overview of our companies' social interaction, and employee benefits is outlined below.
- Weekly internal company newsletter highlighting company news, staff news, and other industry information.
- Social Committee responsible for various minor company events such as summer BBQ's, staff nominated fundraising events, Halloween pumpkin carving, holiday wreath / urn making, Easter Egg hunt, cooking classes, etc.
- Major company events including Holiday Party and a major company and family weekend getaway (Ontario Resort, Blue Mountain, Niagara Falls, etc.).
- Company sponsored draws, giveaways, etc.
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and Vision benefits package thru a leader in the Health Benefits Industry.
- Group RRSP Program with matching contributions from DEI Consulting Engineers. Matching percentage contribution based on years of service.
- Health and Wellness Benefit of $300.00 annually for health and wellness costs such as gym membership fees, intramural activities, sports equipment, etc.
- Overtime Pay at time and a half on all hours over 44 hours per week.
- Parental Top-up Benefit for new parents and growing families within the organization.
- Two to three weeks of vacation (dependent on years in workforce).
- One week of paid leave for personal emergencies and sickness.
This position is intended for an individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written). The individual will be required to communicate effectively and concisely with a variety of stakeholders, prioritize tasks and show time management skills, and be adaptable to changing working conditions. The ideal candidate would have at a minimum a Diploma or Certificate in Office Administration or prior experience in an administrative setting. Experience within the construction industry, specifically consulting, is considered an asset.
- Experience in an administrative office setting; experience in the construction industry is considered an asset.
- Ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadline and deliverable dates while working on a number of ongoing tasks.
- Expert proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint and other standard computer software programs (i.e. PDF editors).
- High levels of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and ability to retain company workflows and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and excellent judgement in decision-making.
- A high degree of professionalism in dealing with a variety of stakeholders.
As an Administrative Assistant your role would involve working with our existing administrative team and our engineering staff to process and manage a variety of written and verbal correspondence specific to the construction industry. This correspondence would include editing specifications based on mark-ups from the engineering team, preparing and formatting change notices, addendums, supplemental instructions, and site reviews, preparing contractual documents such as CCDC contracts, certificate of payments, recommendation letters, processing shop drawings, maintenance manuals, etc. An overview of responsibilities is listed below:
- Assist Senior and Intermediate staff with preparing and formatting a variety of construction specific documents including change notices, addendums, supplemental instructions, site reviews, specifications, etc.
- Process shop drawings, maintenance manuals, and other incoming / outgoing documents.
- Prepare CCDC contracts, certificate of payments, recommendations letters, reports, and other prime consulting service requirements.
- Answer incoming calls, direct visitor within the office, accept and distribution of packages and mail, and other general reception duties.
- Book travel arrangements, register staff to attend educational events or other.
- Assist with organizing company events for the Waterloo office. Duties could include purchasing of supplies, event set-up / take-down, waste disposal, etc.
- General office duties including ordering water, garbage removal, coffee station cleanup, purchasing of snack items, and calling for copier services.
- Order office supplies online.
- Complete waybills and package items for shipping/couriering.
- Accounting of petty cash.
** Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Interested individuals are to send their cover letter and resume. Please note the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. We appreciate the time and effort put forth by all applicants; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.