Globally recognized wildlife conservation organization seeks an Event Sales professional craving meaningful work that impacts wildlife and wild places. Using a customer-focused approach, you will help to support our talented and passionate team change the trajectory of the animals, plants, and people on our planet. Does this sound like you?
The Event Sales Coordinator aligns zoo catered event products and services with prospective clients, meeting both needs and expectations. Clients are both external clients and internal business partners. They work with clients to ensure all detail for their event is accurate and precise ensuring a successful experience. They provide a liaison between zoo internal departments and the customer to ensure ?day of' activities are in line with customer expectations.
The preferred candidate is a clear communicator, highly organized, and is a creative problem solver. They are a motivated and hardworking team player who is process driven and who cultivates a strong attention to detail.
This is a critical role in the organization that enhances the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo's reputation as a wildlife conservation charity through event sales. This role collaborates across multiple teams including Catering, Kitchen, Guest Relations, Development, Marketing, Communications, and Animal Care. One of the key responsibilities you will take on in this role is the management of the internal event portfolio. You will be the sole point of contact for any events booked by internal team members from all departments at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo.
Our Mission / Take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places
Our Values / Effective collaboration and communication, honesty and integrity, customer focus, safety, and conservation
What you will do:
- Responsible for the accurate and timely completion of catering sales contracts and communication records
- Responsible for the coordination of menus, décor and other logistics associated
- Responsible for post event follow-up to ensure customer satisfaction and encourage repeat business
- Responsible for maintaining positive ongoing customer relationships
Responsible for increasing event/catering sales revenue through proactive inside sales techniques, participation in client site tours, external client meetings and sales blitzes as required
- Responsible for developing and analyzing goals and objectives for own area of responsibility
- Responsible for gathering competitive intelligence and contributing to market and sales department planning, including and not limited to the management and awareness of their client base
- Participate in tradeshows, industry events, etc. as required
- Responsible for the accurate completion of final details and the conveyance to Catering staff to ensure quality events
What you will bring:
- Bachelor's Degree in Event Management or a related post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate
- Minimum 2 years' working in an event planning and/or sales related role
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Customer focused with excellent relationship building skills
- A flair for designing unique special events that deliver a wow factor
- Knowledge of developing, tracking and monitoring budgets and expenditures
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrate a positive, outgoing, professional and friendly demeanour
- Must possess excellent relationship building skills, is confident and experienced in dealing with corporate and wedding clientele
- Ability to relate and interact positively with many other departments
- Working knowledge of several computer applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel), Caterease or related catering systems
- Primarily office based, sedentary computer work with long periods of constant typing
- Occasionally moving tables, chairs, etc. for special events
- On-ground mobility required
- Ability to occasionally work on weekends, statutory holidays, and evenings will be required
The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo is an outdoor facility and all staff working at the zoo must be comfortable working in a large variety of outdoor conditions. The zoo follows the advice of Environment Canada when responding to temperature and air quality issues.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation, vacation, and flex day entitlement
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
- Employer matching RRSP program
- Discounts on food, beverage, and merchandise
- Participation in the Staff Pass Benefit Program
- A fun, rewarding work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals
Are you ready to be wilder by joining one of Canada's leaders in wildlife conservation?
If this position suits your skills, experience, and personal attributes, we want to talk to you!
Apply by doing the following:
- Watch this video about the conservation work being done at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVBNXBhlCE&t=1s)
- Submit your resume with a cover letter via our online application system.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If this position is a fit for you, we encourage you to apply with a resume and cover letter no later than November 15, 2023 @ 4:00 p.m. MST.
The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo strives to cultivate a workplace in which everyone feels welcome and empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. As a conservation organization, we respect and value the diversity of all life and come together as individuals and teammates to achieve the organization's mission and vision. We recognize the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and work to advance our culture to ensure diverse viewpoints are heard and everyone has an equitable chance to succeed and thrive.
All applicants are thanked for their applications in advance and advised that only those selected for interview will be contacted.