Interested in a career at Langara College?
Our employees exemplify Langara's values of excellence, collegiality, innovation and integrity. If you think this position fits your qualifications, we encourage you to apply!
Langara College is located in Vancouver, B.C.: applicants to postings must be located in BC or willing to move to BC to accept work with Langara College. Exceptions to this will be clearly outlined in the event Langara College requires work (or positions to be based) to be performed outside BC or Canada.
Current employee? Apply through Careers in your
Job Title:Director, Strategic Communications and Marketing
Start Date:Monday, January 8 2024
End Date (if applicable):
Job Description :The Director provides strategic leadership for communications and marketing for the College. The Director is responsible for the planning, development, implementation and management of all the College's internal and public-facing marketing strategies, marketing communications, media relations, issues management, institutional branding, and communication and marketing initiatives and activities. The role directs the efforts of marketing, internal and external communications, and coordinates at the strategic and tactical level with leadership, faculty, and staff to ensure alignment of those strategies and tactics with the College's overall strategic plan.
As well as being responsive to College departments' needs, the incumbent is required to proactively lead and build on key opportunities to further establish Langara College as a leader in the BC, national and international education landscape by pursuing strong brand management and developing strategies to ensure the committed engagement of key stakeholder groups.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, External Relations, the Director is involved in the College's communication assets for all levels of governments including Indigenous, municipal, provincial and federal. This includes developing strategy and executing the College's vision to achieve tangible, measurable results. The Director participates in the communication and publication of the College's strategic plan.
The Director leads a team of highly qualified communications, marketing, and design professionals. In this capacity, the Director is an effective team builder, mentor, and coach, focused on the continuous development of human resources in the department. The Director works collaboratively with relevant groups in the development and implementation of communication and marketing strategies. Within the College, the Director provides strong leadership and demonstrates organizational awareness, collegiality, and sound decision-making.
Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related discipline.
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant experience in a senior capacity. Post-secondary experience an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of data-driven communications strategies and plans, including institutional brand campaigns and reputation management.
- Considerable knowledge of current best practices in digital experience strategies and technology, and technologies used for publication development, advertising, and public relations.
- Considerable knowledge of website design and web content management systems including functional understanding of web technologies and their interdependence to IT infrastructure and processes.
- Experience in media relations, community relations, crisis communications, and reputational management in a senior capacity.
- Considerable knowledge of publishing, print, and multi-media design and production processes.
- Demonstrated experience in project management methodologies and processes.
- Demonstrated experience in managing human resources including hiring, supervising, recruitment, training, and performance management of staff, preferably in a complex unionized environment.
- Experience with marketing partnerships and sponsorships in a public sector environment.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Professional membership with IABC, BCAMA, CPRS, or similar societies an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communications skills, including the ability to represent the College on some media issues.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic-thinking, analytical, organizational, and personal skills.
- Skills writing RFPs, press releases, media advisories, advertising and marketing decks, and presentations.
- Skills overseeing the production of campaigns, collateral, and events.
- Commitment to working in an environment of collaboration and shared decision-making as well as in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to build cross-functional multi-disciplinary teams and motivate people.
- Ability to function with a high degree of tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to react quickly and deal successfully with sometimes conflicting objectives in an open and public environment.
- Ability to work with a variety of media and mediums to achieve the College's communications goals.
- Ability to work as part of the College's leadership team.
- Collegiality - values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect.
- Problem solving and decision making - considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions.
- Organizational awareness - understands and appreciates an organization's internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates.
- Innovation - welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization's strategic goals.
- Integrity - acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust.
- Professional maturity - demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity.
- Tenacity, resilience and patience - believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results.
- Business awareness - considers and understands the financial, operational, and human perspective and impact of decisions.
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind.
- Team Leadership - creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team.
- Relationship management - builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication - uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others.
- Achieves results - goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
To obtain the full job description, please
contactour recruitment team.
Salary Range:$71.83 - $110.15 per hour
Pay Grade:Admin Paygrade 16
Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers' Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Scheduled Weekly Hours:35
Hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Closing Date:Wednesday, November 22 2023
People and Culture is committed to embracing, honoring, and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We remain dedicated to focusing our efforts on creating an inclusive employee community that fosters a sense of safety and belonging for everyone. We humbly acknowledge that we are just beginning our journey, which includes engaging in our own internal learning and creating a data-driven action plan that supports the integration of EDI practice into the work of People and Culture and the work we do with employees and leaders. Langara College welcomes applications from everyone including people from groups that are experiencing inequity including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume. In addition, those shortlisted with international credentials must have their education credentials evaluated through WES (World Education Services) and provide Langara College, People & Culture document evaluation access for employment purposes.
We thank you for your interest in Langara College and for taking the time to complete an application. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted due to the number of applications received.
Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.