Date Posted: 11/02/2023
Req ID: 34789
Faculty/Division: Vice-Provost, Students
Department: Office of the Vice-Provost Students
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Reporting to the Executive Director, Strategy, Programs & Operations, and working closely with the Vice-Provost, Students and Executive Directors in the Office of the Vice-Provost Students (OVPS), the Communications Manager provides high-level communications support to the OVPS on a wide range ofprojects, initiatives, and issues.
The Communications Manager has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Director, Communications & Strategic Projects in the Division of the Provost and Vice-President.
The Communications Manager will participate in the development of strategic communications plans and coordinate communications activities within the OVPS. The incumbent will prepare written products including speeches, statements, letters, briefing notes, proposals, reports, policy papers, articles, quotes, and scripts for OVPS events, online content, newsletters, and others. The incumbent will prepare complex messages considering the experiences and perspectives of diverse audiences. The incumbent will coordinate communications efforts within the OVPS that require knowledge of confidential information about student cases, staffing, priorities, and new strategic directions.
Working collaboratively with other communications staff in the Division of the Provost and Vice-President, Student Life, and across the University, the incumbent will prepare integrated communications products on behalf of the Vice-Provost, Students and the OVPS.
The Communications Manager will work collaboratively with OVPS staff to provide communications support as needed regarding complex student issues. The incumbent will also work collaboratively with OVPS staff to ensure that responses are appropriate, professional, and timely, and the OVPS's correspondence management system models best practices.
The incumbent works in a complex environment that requires a high degree of sensitivity, tact, responsiveness, and diplomacy. The role of the Communications Manager will continue to evolve. The incumbent must respond to the given priorities of the day and be willing to work cooperatively in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Post-graduate degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience in progressively responsible senior communications roles.
- Extensive experience in a confidential executive office environment within a complex public sector environment.
- Demonstrated experience developingefficient records tracking and retention systems and bring-forward systems.
- Experience in developing and implementing written communication strategies and products.
- Excellent understanding of the University's mission and intersection with the broader community.
- Excellent knowledge of the postsecondary education sector and its issues.
- Ability to understand, articulate, and address issues of multiculturalism and cross-cultural intersections.
- Experience in responding to FIPPA requests.
- Experience in a student-focussed environment.
- Experience in a post-secondary setting is a strong asset.
- Experience working with an equity, diversity and inclusivity lens is an asset.
- Demonstrated superb research, writing, and editing skills.
- Demonstrated excellent web management skills and Internet research skills.
- Proficiency in writing different types of correspondence and documents for different audiences; Attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills, including a strong facility with the internet as well as with various software programs, including Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, spreadsheets and database management programs, and correspondence software.
- Professional demeanor and ability to exercise tact, judgment, and discretion; Demonstrated diplomacy.
- Superior oral and written communication, interpersonal, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain strict standards of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility; Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and to meetdeadlines.
- Ability to proactively manage a large and constantly fluctuating workload and to meet deadlines.
- Comfortable receiving direction from multiple senior staff.
- Proven ability to work both independently and to collaborate and participate effectively within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a wide range of diverse students and other individuals across all levels of the University and with external community stakeholders.
Closing Date: 11/16/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget - Term; This is a 2 year-term contract.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 3 - Hiring Zone: $90,134 - $105,156 - Broadband Salary Range: $90,134 - $150,223
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial