Job Description :
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Mount Royal University's dedicated team of Human Resources professionals is here to provide a range of services for prospective and current employees including: professional development, talent acquisition, consultancy services, and information on policies, payroll, benefits, and more.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Human Resources, the HR Manager, Payroll is responsible for leading all payroll processes, overseeing payroll taxes and pension premium remittances, and providing leadership and direction to the payroll team. The incumbent will inform procedures, best practices, objectives, goals, priorities, and policy while fostering a cross-functional work environment in support of continual improvement of operations and emerging trends. Relationships are pivotal to the success of the team and the ideal candidate will be skilled at building and maintaining relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
This position will help drive HR data integrity by continuously identifying and pursuing improvements to employee data entry, payroll information and business processes. The role will be both tactical and strategic, requiring hands-on work to effectively identify, and implement process improvement and efficiency in regards to payroll.
- Accountable for the timely remittance, recording and reporting of statutory taxes and pension information, with an overall objective focused on compliance and accurate payroll delivery.
- Provide oversight to monthly payroll accounts and reconciliations.
- Provide direction in processing, configuration, maintenance and support of systems encompassing areas such as; salary and wage payments, deductions, time- reporting, contract processing, workers compensation etc.
- Lead fiscal and calendar year-end activities including; providing fiscal year-end vacation liability, WCB, and LAPP reports to stakeholders.
Technical HR Information Management Leadership
- Act as a resource from payroll and employee systems in support of MRU's IT Strategy.
- Develop goals for modernizing and optimizing payroll, automating payroll/HR processes, minimizing business process inefficiencies, and delivering a positive user/stakeholder experience.
- Assist in systems reviews, implementations, testing, auditing and maintenance of payroll systems.
Project & Change Management
- Participate in project management plans for payroll systems and HR processes.
- Work in partnership with users/stakeholders to document processes, identify automated solutions to manual processes, and steward processes through the transformation process to deployment.
- Develop self-serve solutions and enable users/stakeholders to access and process information in a timely, easy manner as it relates to the functional area.
People Leadership & Mentorship
- Create a work environment that thrives on collaboration, creativity, innovation, results and a focus on positive user experience.
- Coach, motivate and inspire direct reports, as well as set goals, assign work/projects, and ensure goals are achieved.
- University Bachelor Degree in related field
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM or PCP) strongly preferred
- CPHR and/or SHRM designation will be considered an asset
- 5 years' experience in related fields, including required experience leading a team
- Experience working in a unionized environment strongly preferred
- Experience working in Banner or other HRIS and business processes
- Knowledge of Banner considered a strong asset
- Working knowledge of GAAP, and payroll intersection with Pensions and Benefits administration
- Proven ability to maintain high standards relating to privacy, security, and confidentiality
- High level of initiative, creativity and ability to facilitate completion of prioritized goals
- Exceptional communication and critical thinking with strong troubleshooting skills
MRU Leadership Competencies
- Have integrity and are inclusive
- Empower others
- Foster growth
- Engage and support others
- Take risks and are innovative
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.
MRU supports full immunization as the best way to protect yourself and our campus community and strongly recommends vaccination against COVID-19.
Salary: $92,847 - $128,127
Closing Date: November 30, 2023
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number], [Document Title].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999, CV.pdf).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Recent Mount Royal graduates who are foreign nationals may be eligible to work on campus. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website under Post-Graduation Employment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp.