Media and Community Relations Manager (Six In Market Positions) - PWHL (Boston, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto)
Job Type: Eight-month contract (November to June)
The Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL) is seeking experienced and passionate individuals to serve as a Media and Community Relations Manager, with six positions available covering each of the PWHL's teams. The successful candidates will be the primary contacts for media and community relations in their local markets and have an integral role in growing the PWHL by driving communications strategies, storytelling, and relationship building that aligns and adheres with league standards and expectations. Responsibilities and tasks will be coordinated with and supervised by the team's Director of Business Operations, with support and guidance provided by the league's Communications department.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute PWHL communications policies, campaigns, and initiatives in local markets.
- Work with the league and team leadership to build strategic messaging and to generate content including but not limited to player storytelling, hockey, business, and community initiatives for delivery through team channels and to local media contacts.
- Actively engage with local media entities and relentlessly pursue new and diverse opportunities for coverage across a variety of platforms including but not limited to print, digital, radio, and television to grow audiences and raise brand awareness.
- Write press releases, media advisories, game notes and summaries to keep local media informed and updated on team news, initiatives, activities, and player achievements in a timely manner.
- Manage the team's media accreditation process including reviewing applications and the distribution of credentials.
- Work with facility partners to establish and maintain sufficient media workspace.
- Build, grow, and maintain a comprehensive email distribution list of local media contacts.
- Facilitate access for journalists, photographers, and broadcast coverage at team events, practices, and home games, and manage on-site media availability.
- Coordinate virtual and phone interviews as requested for team staff and players.
- Source and attend media appearances and community events for staff and players.
- Compile team rosters, records, and enhance player profiles to inspire engaging content that showcases players' personalities, experiences, milestones, and achievements.
- Collaborate with the Brand and Marketing team to amplify PR/Communications content.
- Coordinate with team photographer and videographer to produce media assets.
- Maintain a constant and growing knowledge of the team, its players, the league, and the media landscape within the community.
- Generate regular reports that monitor and summarize team coverage and identify areas of growth.
- Participate in regular meetings and knowledge sharing under the direction of the league's Communications department to align on performance goals and best practices.
- Assist with general administrative tasks and ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3-5 years working in sports media relations, public relations, communications, journalism, or related professional experience.
- Bachelor's in sports management, communications, media or related degree - Required.
- Experience in the sports and entertainment industry - Preferred.
- Must be proficient with computers and MS Office programs.
- Bilingual in English and French for the Montreal position - Required.
- Bilingual in English and French for the Ottawa position - Preferred.
SKILLS, ABILITIES & OTHER ATTRIBUTES:
- Comfortable in areas of media and community relations with experience producing written content for publication, public speaking, and a history of building and maintaining positive relationships.
- Creative eye for storytelling, research, and developing original and innovative ideas to deliver content and finding solutions to overcome challenges.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate well with management-level peers as well as employees in other groups across the organization.
- Understanding of digital marketing and social media platforms.
- Highly motivated to continuously learn and improve department processes.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a face-paced and dynamic environment.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including evenings and weekends as dictated by event schedules and project timetables, and on short notice.
*NOTE: This position will require working on-site at all home games and events, frequent attendance at practices and other activities in market, and team travel.
EEOC: The Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL) is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.