The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi'kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
Reporting to the Canada Games Centre General Manager, the Manager, Marketing & Communications is a member of the Canada Games Centre Management Team and is responsible for providing strategic advice and management of the marketing programs. Core responsibilities include the management of communications, marketing and promotions, public relations, media relations, and sponsorship.
The Manager, Marketing & Communications must achieve outcomes in key result areas including the effective brand recognition that promotes participation and revenue generation; positive public, media and customer relations; innovative and effective sales campaigns; employee performance and fiscal responsibility. The Manager, Marketing & Communications will facilitate success in these key result areas through a cooperative approach with the Society and quality leadership and communication to employees and contractors.
Develop and manage marketing and communications strategies and programs
- Identify marketing needs, trends, target markets and opportunities
- Ensure communication strategies and activities support the vision of the Board
- Manage and evaluate the delivery of innovative and effective marketing and communications products, services, and strategies
- Promote the Centre's programs and services
- Ensure the maintenance of an effective image and branding
- Develop and execute effective presentations, special promotional events, and media events
- Prepare and oversee the development of reports, briefs, web content, press releases, and other products
- Develop strategies to integrate social media into marketing and communication activities
- Identify best practices and explore innovative provision of public information
- Evaluate the impact of promotional materials, sales campaigns, etc., and develop benchmarks for measuring the performance of promotional and communication plans and evaluate the impact of promotional materials, sales campaigns, etc.
- Work with graphic designers and other professional contractors to develop promotional materials, etc.
- Ensure effective and innovative website design and maintenance
- Work with business units to ensure a coordinated communications approach internally and externally
- Analyse statistics on member usage, trends, and feedback
- Ensure the development of graphic standards for promotional materials, signage, etc.
- Monitor media coverage and prepare briefing materials for the GM and Board of Directors
- Develop and implement overall sponsorship policy/plan and sales strategy
- Meet with appropriate staff and Board members to discuss ways to maximize all partnership to review status and leveraging possibilities of current relationships
- Develop sponsor contracts and oversee all sponsor servicing related activities
Manage a Team of Employees
- Provide leadership to the Marketing & Communications team
- Recruit, hire and select a team of employees, ensuring due diligence with respect to applicable legislation, etc.
- Provide orientation, training, and professional development to maximize employee performance
- Provide leadership in the development and maintenance of a safe, respectful, and positive working environment, ensuring due diligence with respect to applicable legislation
- Motivate, empower, and coach staff to optimum performance
- Conduct staff performance appraisals
- Recognize the contributions of staff
- Mediate conflicts between staff and clients while maintaining a positive and constructive working relationship
- Monitor and hold staff accountable for their behavior and performance.
- Provide clear directions, priorities and clarification of roles and responsibilities
Manage Fiscal and Other Resources
- Prepare the Marketing & Communications Business Unit's annual budget and monitor expenditures and revenues, reporting monthly on business unit revenues and expenses, for daily operations and project management
- Responsible for the purchase of marketing and events supplies and equipment
- Maximize the use of the marketing and events budget through the choice of cost-effective marketing strategies
Education and Experience
- Must have a post-secondary degree in marketing, public relations, or a related field or a suitable combination of education and experience
- Must have a minimum of five years progressive experience in marketing programs and services, brand development, preferably in the sport or recreation field
- Must have demonstrated experience in acquiring sponsorship, preferably in the sport and recreation field
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing employees
Job Specific Knowledge
- Sound knowledge of marketing, research and communication principles; good working knowledge of project management and performance measurement principles; working knowledge of the event planning cycle and principles of risk management; understanding of the fitness, wellness and recreation industry trends; basic knowledge of budget management principles
- Outstanding planning and coordination skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Must have proficiency in using a variety of computer software programs (including Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and WordPress.
- Proficiency in Survey Monkey, Campaigner, desktop publishing, HTML and web design is considered an asset.
Attitude and Approach
- Understand and appreciate the role that sport, and recreation plays in healthy communities
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Be actively engaged and excited about your role
- Strong listening skills
- Proactive and positive attitude
- Always conduct yourself with integrity and professionalism
- Be detail-oriented and well organized
- Demonstrate problem solving skills with a solution-based approach
- Work well under pressure
- Experience dealing with various publics (individuals, families, corporate, seniors, etc.)
- Motivated by the success of others
Achievement Motivation: Focuses efforts on working well and/or competing against a standard of excellence while achieving high quality results.
Communication: Communication is effective, timely, and relevant exchange of information that is respectful of the diversity of people, and the geography and working environments of our employees. It includes receiving information, listening, understanding, and responding openly and effectively in interactions with others. It also implies this information is processed into actions.
Customer Service: Implies a desire to help or serve others, to meet their needs. It means focusing one's efforts on discovering and meeting the customer or client's needs. Customers include internal colleagues, citizens, elected officials or anyone that the person is trying to help.
Initiative: Identifying and dealing with issues pro-actively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise.
Innovation: Questioning conventional approaches and responding to challenges with innovative solutions or services, using intuition, experimentation, and fresh perspectives. Improves performance by doing new things.
Team Leadership: Is the intention to take a role as a leader of a team or other group. It implies a desire to lead others. Team leadership is generally, but not always, shown from a position of formal authority.
Valuing Diversity: The ability to understand and respect the practices, customs and values of other individuals and cultures, seeing diversity as beneficial to the organization and community. It implies the ability to work effectively with a wide cross-section of the community representing diverse backgrounds, cultures and socio-economic circumstances and divergent goals.
Types of decision made independently
- Implement regular marketing and promotional strategies as per approved budget
- Purchase regular supplies for daily operations within approved budget
- Training within approved budget
- Approve time sheets
- Hiring and managing staff
- Performance appraisals and wage recommendations
- Code and approve invoices and purchase orders for processing
Types of decisions requiring supervisor's approval
- Market and promotion opportunities which fall outside of the approved plan for the current fiscal year or expenditures which are above signing authority
- Personal training opportunities
- Implement new programs
- Deviating from policy
- Increasing staff compliment and discipline/termination of staff
- Staff wage increase approval
- General Manager, Management Team, Administrative Support, Canada Games Centre Employees, Internal Service Providers, Commercial Tenants, and Business Partners
- Media, Clients, Sponsors, Suppliers, Contractors, Service Representatives, Advertisers, Municipal Officials
- Marketing Coordinator
- This position requires full-time work, 35 hours per week, with flexible hours between the hours of 5:30am and 10:00pm, Monday through Sunday
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Safe use of all protective and barrier equipment is required by the employer
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What's in it for you?
- Group benefits and RRSP plan
- Education allowance
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
- Organization committed to extraordinary staff and customer experience
Salary will be based on a range from $68,000-$85,000 commensurate with education and level of experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Wasan Nayfeh at via Isarta by Friday, December 8th.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.