Date Posted: 11/14/2023
Req ID: 34946
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: Cell and Systems Biology
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00049503
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada's leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The Department of Cell & Systems Biology promotes research and teaching in some of the most dynamic and vital areas of biological research. We facilitate the pursuit of cutting-edge research in the molecular life sciences and systems biology and embrace new methodologies and state-of-the-art technologies. Located in downtown Toronto and part of the University of Toronto, one of the world's top research universities, our department is an ideal place to work, research and make a lasting impression in the field.
Under the direction of research lab Principal Investigator(s), the Administrative Research Assistant provides administrative support to all members of the research team. The Administrative Research Assistant is responsible for (including but not limited to) financial tasks, writing routine documents and correspondence, responding to both internal and external inquiries in a customer service focused manner, and redirecting as required for items that need to be escalated etc.
This position is 60% FTE.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responding to enquiries within the defined scope of the role and redirecting as appropriate
- Resolving issues within the scope of the role and escalating problems as required
- Writing routine documents and correspondence
- Maintaining information in databases
- Coordinating meeting schedules, agendas, materials, action and follow-up items
- Monitoring, recording, reconciling and/or reporting on funding accounts for grants and contracts
- Generating standard financial reports
- Preparing expense reimbursements
- Advanced College Diploma (3 years) in Finance, Business Administration or Biology, or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three years' recent and relevant experience in providing financial administration of research grants and providing administrative support for group research, preferably in the area of Science in a university environment
- Experience with preparing and processing research expenses/expense reimbursements
- Experience with monitoring and reconciling financial and grant accounts
- Experience of using Usource, MORL, RAISE and RIS for grant/finance administration
- Professional experience in booking travel arrangement and preparing itineraries
- Experience with statistical reporting and analysis
- Strong knowledge of the rules and procedures in the university setting, including Guide to Financial Management
- Knowledge of CSB/Science related research grants and funds
- Highly developed computer skills in MS Office
- Strong organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate complex policies
- Strong interpersonal and customer services skills and strong ability to work well with all levels of faculty, staff and students
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, problem solve, prioritize and manage competing priorities
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
- Team player
Closing Date: 11/22/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Ancillary Operations
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 09 - $39,244 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $50,187. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.