Company : IWK Health
Req ID: 169057
Department/Program : WZ Provincial Preschool Autism Services, Children's Health Program
Location: Flexible within the Zone
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: NSGEU Off&Cler, Admin Professionals Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $20.3648 - $23.1417 /hour
Closing Date: (Applications are accepted until 23:59 Atlantic Time)
IWK Health is a respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million children, youth, adults and families each year across the Atlantic region. We have a team of approximately 4000 employees, physicians, volunteers and learners at sites across Nova Scotia. People build careers with IWK Health with our focus on training and mentorship opportunities. We recognize each other's talent and celebrate our successes. We collaborate in modern facilities or virtually from home, align our work to our values, and enjoy access to enhanced benefits and wellness programs. We are proud to support our patients, families and communities and are grateful for the generous donor support we receive.
Promoting an anti-racist environment, and calling out discrimination as we work and provide care, is important to us. We are located in Mi'kma'ki, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq people. Working in Mi'kma'ki and providing care to those across Atlantic Canada is a shared privilege with the original inhabitants who have lived here for many thousands of years prior to colonization. There are 13 First Nation communities across Nova Scotia, and more than 50 historic African Nova Scotian communities who also have a long, deep, and complex history dating back over 400 years. We have the highest percentage of people with disabilities in the country. Nova Scotia has the highest proportions of transgender and non-binary people than any other province or territory in the country. We are active in our work to eliminate discrimination, but have more work to do to build that trust, acknowledge our biases and reduce the barriers our diverse communities face. We want IWK Health to be a safe and supportive space of equity and belonging in the care we provide and the employment we offer. We welcome all interested persons who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply to support our goal for our workforce to be representative of the patients, families, and communities that we care for at all job levels.
Reporting to the Manager, Provincial Preschool Autism Services, the Administrative Assistant will provide high-quality administrative and organizational support to the Provincial Preschool Autism Service. The Administrative Assistant is part of a team in the Clinical Intake & Care Coordination stream of service, which is the single point of contact for clients and families and service providers at the point of referral. The Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative service with high-quality organizational and communication skills to assist and support Clinical Intake and Care Coordination in ensuring the effective and efficient operations on a daily basis. The Administrative Assistant will be supporting families and working with clinical teams across the Central, Northern, Western, and Eastern Zones, and therefore requires exemplary technical skills to thrive in a virtual administrative support model.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaises with patients, families, staff, and stakeholders in a courteous and professional manner.
- Communicates messages and information promptly, accurately, and with follow up, as appropriate.
- Listens well and redirects inquiries accordingly.
- Manages time and sets priorities for performance of job functions.
- Processes incoming/outgoing mail.
- Types/transcribes correspondence, photocopies and distributes accordingly.
- Supports Documentation, maintains office filing system, forms and records to ensure efficient storage and retrieval of material.
- Where required, registers patients for visits.
- Supports the establishment and ongoing maintenance of databases and other technology tools / applications for tracking information and transitioning from paper-based environments
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient, family and employee information.
- Places work orders to repair or replace equipment, etc. as required.
- Books and coordinates events and meetings for Provincial Preschool Autism services, including room booking, equipment, and travel arrangements.
- Processes invoices, as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Hours of Work
- 70 hours bi-weekly
- Capacity to work flexible hours to accommodate service needs (evenings, weekends)
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Graduate from a recognized Secretarial or Office Administration Diploma Program required.
- Minimum six (6) months related administrative experience required, one year preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for this position.
- Administrative/secretarial experience in a health care environment preferred.
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Products (including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel Teams, Sharepoint) Zoom, and database programs required.
- Keyboarding skills of 60 wpm required, maximum four (4) allowable errors required.
- Highly advanced technology skills for working in a virtual environment (synchronous and asynchronous communication and ability to collaborate with on a provincial scale) required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and consultatively with team members and partners required.
- Proven time management, organizational and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated initiative, self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision required.
- High regard for quality and attention to detail required.
- Flexible to meet workload demands required.
- Working knowledge of office equipment (e.g., phone systems, fax machine, photocopier, scanner, etc) required
- Experience with Meditech an asset.
- Competencies in other languages an required; French preferred
Thank you for your interest in IWK Health.
Please note that we only contact applicants selected for interview/testing. If we invite you to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) you have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials. Additionally, as per Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre's obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis
If you are an employee of IWK Health, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.