Manager, Communications & Marketing (Internal Posting)
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Duration of Contract (if applicable)
Full-time Equivalency (FTE)
$51,234 - $68,435 per annum
This is a provisional classification. Formal regular review classification procedures may be initiated at any time by the incumbent or supervisor after the incumbent has worked a minimum of six months in the role.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our almost 21,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Faculty of Architecture & Planning comprises of two Schools that offer professional education in architecture and planning. Reporting to the Dean, the Communications and Events Coordinator plays a pivotal role in elevating the Faculty's visibility, reputation and engagement with both internal and external stakeholders. Utilizing strong communication skills, the Communications and Marketing Manager develops communication strategies, executes marketing initiatives, and builds communications capacity for the Faculty and partner organizations.
- Collaborate with the Dean, develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that effectively conveys the Faculty's mission, achievements, and activities to internal and external audiences.
- Professionally write and edit a variety of print and electronic media, including briefs, letters, brochures, newsletters, success stories, project summaries, event support materials (e.g., banners), and articles for internal and external publications.
- Assist the Faculty in managing relationships with local and national media, including fielding requests and leading outreach efforts.
- Support the Dean and its office in creating and executing marketing campaigns to promote academic programs, research initiatives, and Faculty events.
- Monitor and analyze marketing metrics to measure effectiveness of campaigns and make recommendations as needed for data-driven improvements.
- Produce compelling and relevant content, including articles, social media posts, videos and visuals, to engage the Faculty's target audience.
Applications for this position are restricted to current employees of Dalhousie University.
The successful applicant will be eligible for hybrid work (combination of in-person work on campus and remote work) as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements and university guidelines.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (such as customer/client, journalism, public relations/communications), plus three to five years' related experience (or an equivalent combination of training and experience).
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to adapt to changing priorities with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Experience designing content for, and delivering, social media communications as well as developing communications that are accessible for diverse audiences.
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate, and coordinate communications content for various audiences, including fact-checking and ensuring that all communications material is accurate and truthful.
- Knowledge or experience with Indigenous communities.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie's core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Self-Awareness & Professionalism
- Respect & Inclusion
- Knowledge & Thinking Skills
- Thinking and Acting Strategically
- Relationship Building
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
This posting is restricted to current employees of Dalhousie University.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University commits to achieving inclusive excellence through continually championing equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons (especially Mi'kmaq), persons of Black/African descent (especially African Nova Scotians), and members of other racialized groups, persons with disabilities, women, persons identifying as members of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant