Varsity Events Coordinator - Limited Term
Tracking Code: req935
Faculty/Department: Office of Student Life
Number of Positions: Ongoing
Appointment Type: Limited Term
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Salary Range: Level 8 - Starting Salary, Step 1 $62,834
Posting Date: November 16, 2023
Closing Date: November 29, 2023
Job Summary: The Events Coordinator is responsible for the in-game delivery of Ridgebacks home games for our varsity teams. The position also supports special events and recreational programming offered through the Department of Athletics. The regular non flexible hours of work for the role will be primarily weekday evenings, weekends and holidays throughout the year. The job liaises with home and away coaches, department staff and leads a team of students in the delivery of varsity home games. Required experience for the job including but not limited to; sport event operations, ticketing, minor officiating, broadcasting, multi-sport technical knowledge and strong ability using technology for streaming, social media, video, website management and sport statistics. As the on-site event coordinator, the position is required to fully understand multiple sets of provincial sport rules and be able to train staff/minor officials on rules of the game for each respective sport offered at Ontario Tech. Expectations of the incumbent will require working evening, weekend and holiday hours due to when athletic events happen in-season. The success of this position will rest on the incumbent's ability to respond to coach, athlete, student, and other customer needs, work within a diverse team, have flexibility in working schedule and have a creative ability to promote engagement through website and social media platforms
Nature of work:
To whom does the position report? Manager, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Ensure that all U SPORTS/OUA event regulations including video, statistics and reports are completed by required deadlines before and after games.
- Oversee, and participate in the set-up, and take-down of 100+ varsity games and campus recreation events annually (first to arrive, last to leave expectation).
- Multitasking in game operations including, camera operation, tracking, statistics, coordinating activities in between games, front line reception, handling petty cash, servicing media and sponsors, etc.
- Coordinates student-athletes and coaches to attend community events.
- Supports campus recreation as onsite evening and weekend coordinator.
- Support campus recreation as point person for ratification and delivery of sport club groups
- Recognizing and recommending safety and security issues at home games.
- Ensuring customer concerns are resolved timely, accurately and professionally
Communication - Web, video and social media
- Create awareness of all games and activities to Ontario Tech students and community
- Ensure team and student-athlete information and stats are gathered and accurately reported
- Manages the varsity and recreation web sites through contracted website CMS platform provider
- Ensures accuracy of web content and continual maintenance and updates
- Create, design, scan, and edit graphics for web site content
- Track and analyze web content statistics
- Facilitate and coordinate webcasts of home varsity events in accordance with provincial membership conference mandates and requirements.
- Respond to urgent posts or updates to athletics websites and creatively and proactively look for opportunities and stories that will increase awareness of the brand.
- Prepares daily athletic news releases to the media, campus community, and the community at large of the athletic accomplishments and competitions.
- Creating athletics programs, schedules, media guides, brochures, posters, etc.
- Creates communications, publications, printing and audiovisual content of the Department's events
- Creates photography/video production for publications and events
- Creates and coordinates social media content and media relations for varsity athletics
- Expands the Athletics programs into new markets via social media (ie Facebook. Instagram. Twitter)
- Promotes approx. 100 home events, programs, scripts for announcers, streaming on-line and game day promotions
- Deals directly local, provincial and national television and media outlets to broadcast sporting events and special requests
- Engages daily with local media in an effort to promote athletic events and news (contacted print, radio, tv for sport specific contents).
- Work in conjunction with staff to produce an enjoyable and safe sport experience for participants, competitors, fans and community.
- Assist in promotional planning for initiatives during games while being the point person to execute the promotions during home games .
- Ensure that each spectator receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes proactively greeting, acknowledging and re-approaching every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge and all other aspects of customer service
- Responsible for dealing with in game complaints and troubleshooting solutions when issues at games occur.
- Implements a community program which involves getting community groups i.e. minor sports teams, choirs, girl guides etc. for a varsity sport and our student athletes to community events i.e. school is cool program (school assembly)
- Increases spectator interest by targeting and promoting department's activities to new audiences.
- Event planning support of events such as Hall of Fame evening, all Championship and All-Star games, elementary school day games and community outreach initiatives.
- Develops and implements a social media strategy to interact with user groups such as Facebook (daily), Twitter (daily), Instagram (daily) YouTube and Flickr when appropriate.
- Creates logos, artwork, designs, signage, advertisements for the department using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator etc..
- Training in safe sport
- Training in diversity and inclusion
- Training in anti racism
- Certification in standard first aid and CPR
- Post secondary education of three academic years in sports administration, management, public relations, recreation, physical education or equivalent
- Verification of Academic credentials may be required
- One to three years experience working in high performance sport.
- Extensive experience and understanding with technology and software programming for streaming, game film, television and broadcasting.
- Experience working in a multi-sport organization such as university or college
- Experience managing sales (ticketing and concession)
- Experience scheduling staff
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume. Applications will be accepted until November 29, 2023 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the collective agreement between the university and the OPSEU. To the extent that policies are not included in the collective agreement, employment will also be governed by the university's policies which may also be found on our website https://ontariotechu.ca and which may be amended from time-to-time.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous Peoples in Canada will be given priority.
Ontario Tech University respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. The University is also committed to ensuring that confidentiality is maintained throughout all aspects of the recruitment cycle.
If you require accommodation, please contact Julie Day, Health and Disability Management Specialist. For more information about the universities policies for accommodating employees with disabilities please review the university's Accessibility Policy
The university acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation which is covered under the Williams Treaties. We are situated on the Traditional Territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation which includes Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi.
Job Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Expected Start Date: 12/4/2023
Expected End Date: 3/29/2024