This posting is for one part-time, hourly position
Strathcona County Emergency Services provides twenty-four hour, seven days a week emergency communication and dispatch services to Strathcona County and other partners. We are looking to hire up to three part-time Emergency Communications Operators.
The Emergency Communications Operator (ECO) is responsible for answering, processing, recording, and dispatching for requests for both emergent and non-emergent incidents. Engaged as an integral part of the community's emergency response system, the ECO provides clear, accurate and customer focused communications to assist in efficient and effective response.
- Efficiently answers 911 calls and transfers to the appropriate agency
- Calmly obtains all required information from callers with complete accuracy
- Dispatches appropriate stations, apparatus and personnel using computer-aided dispatch system
- Communicates with and monitors County radio channels
- Ensures functions of the Communications Centre meet Quality Management standards
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to multi-task, rapidly prioritize and manage stress in a fast-paced, team environment
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to adapt to changing technologies
- Excellent communication skills to effectively deal with people in person, by telephone or radio under stressful conditions
- Working knowledge of the FDM or other computer-aided dispatch program
- Geographical knowledge of Strathcona County and north-eastern Alberta
- High school diploma with relevant work experience may be considered
- Completed education in an accredited Emergency Communications program is preferred
- Certification Emergency Fire Dispatch (EFD) is an asset
- First Aid and CPR certification
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Available to work a variety of shifts which may include days, evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays; hours are as required
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume
Competition #099-2020-EXT-SCES closes July 5, 2020
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.