Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
We're looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can't do without, yet we're growing as fast as ever.
You may think we're your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we're also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You'll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let's rethink energy together. Position Overview
The Corporate Communications Advisor plays a critical role in building and maintaining the company's public image, and is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic communication and proactive media relations initiatives to support FortisBC's major projects. . This role develops and implements strategic communication plans, establishes and maintains media relationships, identifies public issues, creates stakeholder messaging, and acts as corporate spokesperson. This individual also plays an integral role in the development and implementation of employee communication initiatives.
- Media Relations including acting as corporate spokesperson for external media (television, radio, newspapers); establishes and maintains these relationships; responds to media enquiries; develops proactive, integrated media relations strategies.
- Monitors corporate issues through media monitoring including writing letters to editors
- Ensures there are standard key messages/talking points created for management to use for primary corporate issues when in discussion with stakeholders; provides clients and colleagues with media relations advice and counsel, media training, news release writing, media distribution processes and media monitoring/issues tracking.
- Creates individual communications plans for specific corporate and departmental initiatives
- Developing and implementing effective communication strategies and tactics for a variety of audiences in conjunction with communications team members, internal clients and partners.
- Writes corporate speeches and presentations for senior management
- Researching, writing, editing and overseeing the production of various communication materials, which may include executive presentations, corporate announcements, corporate profiles, annual reports, news releases, backgrounders, brochures, fact sheets, web pages, newsletters, and advertisements.
- Researching story ideas and promotion opportunities through liaison with operations staff, and project team members.
- Fostering strong relationships with internal partners in meeting their communication needs internally and externally.
- Planning and managing various events and stakeholder meetings for internal and external audiences as appropriate.
- Working individually and/or with other communications team members and outside consultants to develop other communication tools.
- Carrying the media phone, on a rotational basis, as part of the 24/7 on-call departmental emergency response team, to respond to media enquiries in the interest of public.
- A degree with specialization in communications, public relations, journalism or a related discipline.
- Professional accreditation by IABC or CPRS is an asset.
- A minimum of 4-7 years relevant work experience, with at least four years of progressive public relations or communications experience.
- Energy industry experience would be highly desirable. Some experience in a regulated environment preferred.
- Knowledge of the British Columbia utility regulatory environment an asset.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software preferred.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Demonstrated ability in leading strategic and proactive communications initiatives.
- Demonstrated understanding of media relations and communications strategy coupled with strong network of media contacts.
- Proven experience in creating effective corporate communications plans.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid writing ability in creating corporate communications information, executive speeches and presentations, news releases and employee communications.
- Excellent team building skills with ability to create a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change.
- Strong initiative, judgment, organizational skills and creative abilities. Additional Information
- Please note that this position will work with major projects and public affairs.
Applicants can learn more about FortisBC's major projects at talkingenergy.ca.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. Depending on the responsibilities of the job, some employees continue to report to the office while others work remotely. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we'll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You're Applying. What now? page for additional