WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, Point Blank Creative is a national full-service agency working to unleash the power of progressive movements by bringing together best practices in traditional advertising, digital, and community organizing. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
Our team is an incredible group of progressives who have all chosen to work at Point Blank for the same reason it was founded: to help progressive organizations build effective tools, winning campaigns, and game-changing movements. We're proud to say that our 26 staff hail from 8+ countries, speak 12+ languages, and over 60% identify as women-and we have gender parity and diverse sexual identities at every level of the agency.
We work as an integrated team on projects across Canada with staff in Vancouver, Edmonton, Victoria, Toronto, and Ottawa. Our offices are on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg and Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the x?m??k??y??m (Musqueam), Stó:l?, s?l?ílw?ta?? (Tsleil-Waututh), S?wx?wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; and in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous Peoples, including Cree, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux Peoples.
Our work has been recognized in Canada and America. In 2018, our Game Over Christy ad was recognized as ?Best TV Ad? at the Reed Awards in their ?Overall? category (entries from Canada, US, and around the world). Our work has also received nine nominations for the 2020 Reed Awards. Point Blank's founder, Nathan Lusignan, has also been recognized as one of BC's ?Top Forty Under 40? entrepreneurs.
Your amazing eye for design is constantly scanning the world around you for inspiration. Always ahead of the curve, you are driven to create experiences and use design to tell better stories
- you see style as a tool, not the goal. You're a talented print and digital graphic designer on a mission, and ready to join our kick-ass design team.
Under Point Blank's Director of Design, you'll be responsible for developing original art and creative concepts for client advertising and digital campaigns. You'll have to work with and push the boundaries of our clients' existing brand standards, and develop new branding when required. You'll also be part of our larger creative team
- working with writers, animators, illustrators, digital strategists, and filmmakers to help conceive and execute our clients' campaigns.
This is a full-time, term-contract position based in Ottawa, with the potential to become permanent over time. Truly exceptional candidates will be considered from Vancouver and Toronto. Successful applicants must be permitted to work in Canada.
WHAT YOU DO
- Design and deliver original artwork and documents for digital and/or print applications (including moodboards, campaign & brand identities, wireframes, website mockups, etc.)
- Utilize critical thinking to evaluate and improve designs based on project requirements, audiences and goals
- Embrace (and seek out) thoughtful critique to refine your skills and improve your work/ product
- Execute final deliverables based on client requests and direction from the Director of Design and Art Directors
- Work within existing organizational infrastructure (dropbox, creative cloud, teamwork, slack, google docs, etc.)
- Contribute thoughtful suggestions on ways to improve processes and experiences
- Meet with project leads on an as-needed basis to discuss project needs and requirements
- Work collaboratively with the team
- Demonstrate good political judgement
- Prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
WHO YOU ARE
- You're a creative problem solver with good communication skills
- You've got a strong portfolio of web design and/or print design work that demonstrates your approach and range
- You're a team player and enjoy collaborating with others
- You're self-motivated and organized with the ability to drive projects to completion
- You take direction well and understand that creative criticism is part of the job
- You can deliver quality results within tight deadlines
- You're innately curious and creative, with a desire to push boundaries
- A post-secondary degree or diploma with a focus in design, advertising, or marketing
- 2+ years of relevant work experience for a consumer brand, brand-oriented agency, non-profit, or on political campaigns
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud
- Point Blank sees immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
- Professional fluency in French.
- Experience working in the tech, advertising, labour or political campaigns sectors.
- Illustration and animation skills (making gifs) are a plus.
Why work with us?
- Our entire team are campaigners who are committed to social change. We work with causes and movements we believe in
- and we have a great time doing it.
- We offer a great benefits package
- including a health and dental plan.
- Our Ottawa and Vancouver offices are centrally located
- close to transit and great places to live and eat.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Step 1: Send us your CV and cover letter in a single document with the subject line ?Graphic Designer?. Please include links to your portfolio with your application.
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: apply now, we will be conducting rolling interviews and are looking to fill this role as soon as possible.